Thursday, August 6, 2015

KEEP AN EYE OUT

Besides all the insanity that is mostly-trying-to-ignore-MFA-applications (okay not really; I wish I was able to ignore them, I'm only on the 3rd complete head-to-toe different draft for my base statement of purpose, which, much like a good soup stock, will then have to be used to create 12 specific, program-detailed, very varying-in-length SOPs to send out) I do try to still have fun writing, in my down times.

Through, as is usual with most brilliant-but-offbeat ideas, a weird combination of factors over a time period that only accelerated as it drew closer to my actual "Eureka!" moment, I have happened upon a very fun project that also provides some daily kick-in-the-butt to make sure I stay writing.

I'm coming out with a collection of riffs on Simon and Garfunkel songs.

More specifically, this is what I'm doing:

I downloaded the album "Simon & Garfunkel's Greatest Hits," which I'd owned before but only in hard copy.

I'm writing response poems, in a loose manner, to each of these 20 tracks.

Then I'm gonna smack them all together and put them out in some cute adorable non-serious kind of chapbook.

Depending on how the poems go I'll try sending them around to presses for consideration before I put it out myself. However, I'll be honest: they're all very silly so far. I have 5 drafted. I'm trying to do one every day or so because the project has turned into so much fun it's really easy to get in my daily writing if I lead with it. (As a result I'm also limiting myself to only one a day, or else I fear I'd hammer them all out in less than a week.)

I find myself both incredibly amused and inspired-ish. Inspired enough that yeah, I could write one of these every day.

Are they crap? Mmmmmmaybe. Or maybe they'll glom together into a series of whacky, funny, casual poems. (I hear people write those.)

At any rate I'm happy about it. I love the idea and am glad I stumbled across it.

Look for "E. H. BROGAN'S THE BEST OF SIMON & GARFUNKEL" somewhere online the first half of 2016.

I'm sure I'll keep you updated.

GRE-sily yours,

ehb

No comments:

Post a Comment