OK. I have eight tattoos. At least one is publicly visible at all times. It's small, though, and you have to be observant to notice it. That's scene setting.
Now, some insider detail for those of you who don't have tattoos: there are two ways other people generally deal with a person with tattoos. They either ask about them, or they don't.
Fact: people with tattoos generally do not inquire about the tattoos of other people. However, they will compliment others on their tattoos if they are particularly cool.
Fact: in general, by which I mean I can't think of a single friend I have who defies this rule but I'm giving people the burden of the doubt, I do not have a single person I consider friend who has ever chosen to inquire about my tattoos within the first, or even several, few times we have hung out or otherwise gotten to know each other.
Fact: it's kind of rude to walk up to a complete stranger and start prying about why their body looks the way it does...innit?
I guess what I'm trying to say here is that it's more respectful not to ask people about their tattoos but allow them to tell you if and when. Or like, talk to them about it in private and respectfully after you have known them for a signficant period of time, if you are really curious. Like, that if you are a person who walks up and talks to someone about their tattoo first thing, you have trouble understanding social boundaries? Like it's just not cool to approach someone and use their appearance as the topic of conversation. Kind of rude, I guess?
It's just funny how it's like, a universal code with people who have tattoos. They are cool about it. They're just...much more in the know and respectful, it seems.
No comments:
Post a Comment