Wednesday, October 4, 2017

october activities

Several monthly goals for October, but this one is particularly writerly:

for Christmas last year I requested a dictionary of obscure words. My wish was granted, and I was given a very recommended dictionary of very, *very* obscure words - the kind to please any well-read logodaedalian's heart. I'm sure you're familiar with picking up books which promise to reveal enchantingly new, obscure and archaic words only to give up definitions for entries like "penultimate," "loquacious," and "salient." Well, this book would have you pleased.

Then it sat around on various shelves from Christmas to about now.

What are you supposed to do with a dictionary, anyway? Read it? It's not like you'll retain much information that way, really, unless you commit each particular entry to memory.

For October, I'm writing sentences. I'm starting at A and just working my way through, seeing as far as I can get in a month. I have to write sentences every day. My initial goal was 10 words, 10 sentences/day, but that's proved a bit -- hmm, shall we say, extra?

I'm averaging 4 words/day. Hey! It's hard to think up sentences! I haven't had to do this since high school. And then, yeah, we'd have 20 words to do, 20 sentences, but due in a week! :)

I'm having fun enough.

Hey, did you know the word adfenestrate? The essential antonym of defenestrate, it means to sneak in through a window.

Now, ain't that kind of fun?

No comments:

Post a Comment