Thursday, January 15, 2015

2. WINTER STARS - LARRY LEVIS

I finished Winter Stars in a big committed moment night before last. I guess all I need to do is get halfway through a book of poetry (that’s exactly where I was) and then I can finish the whole rest in a sitting, even if it takes me days to get to the mid-point. (And with Winter Stars, it did.)

CONTEXT: This book was recommended to me by a boy in my college poetry workshops who I had far too big of a crush on and which he never either understood or deserved.


THOUGHTS: Levis writes really long poems, and really long poems can be hard for me. That’s why it took me so long to get halfway. I only picked it up last night and put some real time in because I was afraid I wouldn't meet my Jan 14th deadline. Surprise! (OK guys, technically I wrote this review yesterday and just didn't post it til today. I'm sorry. I'm a liar.) Anyway, most of his poems are at least 2 (book) pages long. The book is also divided into sections, which confused me at first because I was wondering if it was a collection and the poems in each section came from books of his poems named with the name of the section. (This makes sense, I promise.) But no, apparently the “chapters” is just a Levis thing. There’s a lot I really liked about these poems, some of them were funny while sad, some of the imagery is really good and surprisingly. However, I don’t know, maybe I don’t have the patience for it, but I really feel like Levis needs to learn how to write shorter poems. I think long poems can be good and can be funny, but right now I write a ton of long poems and I feel like I need to get back to writing short poems as well. I think versatility is important. While Levis is impressive he's not versatile.

But what does that say really? Maybe he's just found a technique that works for him. That could also be wise, I guess, find your strengths and plumb them. However, I admit, if all of Levis' poems are very long poems, it's more alienating for me than not. 

NEXT: Don't know. Don't have my books with me. I'm thinking either "Elegies" by Rukeyser or "Elegy Owed" by Hicok or whatever the 3rd elegy book was that I asked for for Christmas. 

DUE: 1/28/2015, bitch 

No comments:

Post a Comment