Tuesday, December 23, 2014

1. RED DOC - ANNE CARSON

Context: Someone from my very first college creative writing workshop, who I always see at the same bar and with whom I always have the same conversation, always (in the course of this same conversation) recommends Anne Carson and specifically this book to me. She has done it enough that I had written it down to read in at least three separate notes to myself. I decided to finally read it.

Thoughts: I finished this book by accident today. I meant to stop at half-way through (it's a 164-page book, pretty thick by standards), and then when I got to halfway through thought "oh, a little bit more so it seems like I've actually really made it." Then Things started happening in the narrative and oh my goodness, I sped into the ending. The narrative is a little jangled. Lots of things happen, some of which seem planned, some of which seem accidentally to fall together. It wasn't bad. It was a good example/illustration of how to tell a narrative fictional story in parts through many poems, which is something I could use.

Next: Winter Stars by Larry Levis because I still haven't unpacked my book collection from moving

Due 1/14/2015

No comments:

Post a Comment